Charlotte PCEA Chapter History
The Charlotte History of the PCEA began in May 1956 when a group of 35 Estimators from various Construction disciplines in Charlotte came together under the leadership of R.F. ”Bob” Hawkins (our first President) and Chartered The Professional Construction Estimators Association of America, Inc. Although many of the Charter Members are now deceased, one remains active today as Chapter Member Emeritus.
During the early years of existence the members rallied together exchanging constructive ideas, promoting educational endeavors and high ethical standards while developing new friendships. Under the leadership of Charlotte's early presidents, the members set forth many goals to help the industry and aimed toward expansion of this voluntary Association. As a result of these activities and the efforts of our first Expansion Committee (consisting of Vern W. ”Bill” Helms, Harry L. “Bud” Rosenbaum and G. Keith Middleton), a second chapter was formed during 1958 in Greensboro, NC (now called the Triad Chapter). A third chapter came into being in 1963 in the Raleigh-Durham area (now called the Triangle Chapter). When the original Lynchburg Chapter was formed in 1975, we proceeded to become a National Association under the leadership of our First National President, Vern W. “Bill” Helms, and held our First “National” Convention in May 1975 at Myrtle Beach, SC. The PCEA now has Chapters in 5 South Atlantic States.
Our Chapter members continue to exhibit their support of education through a variety of programs ranging from, but not limited to, scholarships to local students, and a Construction related endowment at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte.